It’s all for you...
Participate in the Lunar New Year Festival. Celebrate API Heritage Month. Help organize a workshop. Get paired with a peer mentor to help you adjust to college life. Apply for a work-study job. Use our computers for your next paper. Hang out between classes. Attend a cultural show. Join a student group. Ask questions, and get answers. Build leadership skills. Sing at Karaoke night. Most of all, get involved, and have fun!
To participate in or help organize any programs and services below, stop by 244 Costo Hall, or contact Esther Kim at (951) 827-7272 or email@example.com
Asian American Programs, Services and Organizations
Network, meet new people, and explore ways that Asian Pacific Islander women reshape and redefine their unique identities in the face of old stereotypes, limitations, and issues.
APSP works with other campus ethnic and gender offices to build community, establish positive working relationships, and develop joint projects. Student leaders attend UCR’s Common Ground Retreat, where it gets together with other student leaders from various backgrounds to define points of connection and develop collective responses to issues affecting UCR.
APSP partners with the Asian Pacific Islander Student Advisory Counsel (APISAC) and student volunteers to present a variety of cultural and educational programs throughout the year that celebrate and raise awareness of current and historical API experiences. We welcome your ideas and participation! Attend, help organize, participate - and have fun!
- Asian Pacific Islander Heritage Month – Participate in this month-long celebration to honor our heritage. Activities throughout the month have included Karaoke, drummers, luaus, musical and dance productions, open-mic nights, banquets, guest speakers, games, discussions, and cultural shows.
- Fall Welcome – Help APSP kick off the new academic year and welcome new students with music, student organization tables, and friendly smiles.
- Film Screenings & Movie Nights – Grab the popcorn and join us for movies – sometimes just for fun, and sometimes to screen culturally significant films for thought, discussion, and support of Asian Pacific artists.
- Finals Week Study Breaks – Join other students during finals week for some much-needed breaks. Laugh, have fun, unwind, and then get back to work.
- Guest Speakers – Hear guest speakers throughout the year present information on an array of topics related to Asian Pacific Islander issues and celebrations.
- Hump Day Celebration – Join the pot luck, music, and fun as we celebrate the middle day of the middle week of the middle quarter as the halfway point in the academic year. This celebration also marks the beginning of the recruitment, hiring, and training cycle for the following year's student staff and volunteers.
- Leadership & Service Awards Banquet – Come together each year to honor student leaders who have dedicated their time and talents to help others.
- Lunar New Year Festival – Bring in the Lunar New Year with this annual festival featuring performances, games, a night market, and more!
- Workshops – Teach or attend workshops throughout the year on topics such as time management, career planning, parental pressures, origami, and more.
- Socials – Meet new friends and bond with old ones at our socials. With or without ice cream, it's a great way to get to know each other.
- Trips – APSP has organized special trips to places such as the annual Manzanar Pilgrimage, which is held the last Saturday of April at the Manzanar National Historic site, approximately 210 miles north of Los Angeles.
Help out with this multicultural youth conference each May that creates opportunities for high school students to come together, define the problems their communities face, and develop solutions together.
Apply for employment at APSP as a student coordinator, or volunteer to build your resume with work experience and skills. We also occasionally get internship leads and pass them on to you.
Get paired up with a peer mentor, or become a peer mentor to help other students. Peer Mentors help first-year and transfer students make a smooth adjustment to college life and culture, direct them to UCR’s resources, and help them discover opportunities for personal, academic, and social growth.
Joining a student organization is the fastest way to get connected, make a difference in various causes, and have a voice in determining campus activities. Check out the student organizations below that are affiliated with APSP. To find out more about these organizations, contact APSP at 951-827-7272 or stop by 244 Costo Hall.
- 909 (Hip-Hop Dance Troupe)
- Asian Pacific Islander Student Advisory Council (APISAC) (link to Our Partners page) – This council is a forum for direct exchange between APSP and UCR’s API student organizations.
- AF3IRM (Action/Political)
- Alpha Kappa Delta Phi (Fraternity/Sorority)
- Alpha Phi Omega (Service)
- Bengali Student Alliance (BSA) (Cultural)
- Chinese Martial Arts Club (CMAC) (Competitive/Sports Teams)
- Chinese Student Association (CSA) (Cultural)
- Filipinos in Health Science (FIHS) (Academic/Professional)
- Hanoori Korean Student Association (Cultural)
- Hmong Student Association (HSA) (Cultural)
- Karate Club (Competitive/Sports Teams)
- Katipunan Pilipino Student Organization (Cultural)
- Korean American Student Association (KASA) (Cultural)
- Origami Club (Arts)
- Pacific Islander Student Alliance (PISA) (Cultural)
- Pi Delta Psi (Fraternity/Sorority)
- Pilipino Studies Collective (PST) (Cultural)
- Senryu Taiko (Arts & Expression)
- South Asian Cultural Awareness (SACA) (Cultural)
- Students For Chinatown (Action Political)
- Thai Student Union (Cultural)
- Vietnamese Student Association (VSA) (Cultural)
To find out about these and many other student organizations at UCR, visit studentlife.ucr.edu